I’ve been wanting to try rolling dice to generate a stitch pattern for a while, using my secret code techniques for the layout, and so this étude is a try at that. I think it worked out well. Here’s a free knitting stitch pattern for you!
I rolled the numbers 3, 6, 6, 2, 5, and 4.
I was very careful about where I placed my decreases – I like to be able to see their lines as a pattern of their own, I included a two stitch cable (also known as a traveling stitch) in the first row to enhance the effect. I also felt free to place corresponding decreases on row 9 for two of the increases on row 11, since this isn’t actually a secret code.
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. It is not a pattern for a finished object. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- A Roll of the Dice is a multiple of 6 stitches and 12 rows.
- I’ve made a stitch map for it.
- Designers, please feel free to use this stitch in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- If you like my posts like this, please consider supporting me on Patreon or donating with my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. Thanks!
- 1/1 LC: Slip next stitch to cable needle and place at front of work, knit 1, then knit 1 from cable needle.
- 1/1 RC: Slip next stitch to cable needle and place at back of work, knit 1, then knit 1 from cable needle.
- CDD: centered double decrease: slip the next 2 stitches as if to knit 2 together, knit the next stitch, then pass the 2 slipped stitches over the third.
- k: knit.
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- p: purl.
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- yo: yarnover.
Row 1 (RS): k1, 1/1 RC, 1/1 LC, k1.
Row 2 (WS): Purl.
Row 3: K2tog, yo, k2, yo, ssk.
Row 4: Purl.
Row 5: Yo, k1, k2tog, ssk, k1, yo.
Row 6: P5, k1.
Row 7: k1, k2tog, yo x 2, ssk, k1.
Row 8: P2, k1, p3.
Row 9: Cdd, yo x 2, cdd. (4 sts)
Row 10: p1, k1, p2.
Row 11: Yo x 2, ssk, k2tog, yo x 2. (6 sts)
Row 12: k1, p3, k1, p1.