Happy Winter Solstice – it will be nice to see the days grow longer again.
Here’s the last of the four seasons. I was considering trying for another cable, but I couldn’t make any of the charts work out as a nice cable design, so here we are with lace. (I might go back and do an autumn lace to make the set complete.)
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. It is not a pattern for a finished object. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- I’ve marked on the chart where beads might go even though I didn’t use any in the swatch.
- Winter is a multiple of 10 stitches and 18 rows.
- I’ve made a stitch map for it.
- Designers, please feel free to use this stitch in your patterns.
- If you like my posts like this, please consider supporting me on Patreon or donating with my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. Thanks!
- 1/1 LC: Slip next stitch to cable needle and place at front of work, knit 1, then knit 1 from cable needle.
- 1/1 RC: Slip next stitch to cable needle and place at back of work, knit 1, then knit 1 from cable needle.
- k: knit.
- kb: place bead on stitch and then knit it. (Optional)
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- k3tog: knit 3 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning double decrease)
- p: purl.
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- sssk: slip each of the next 3 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning double decrease)
- yo: yarnover.
Row 1 (RS): *k1, (k2tog, yo x 2, ssk) x 2, k1 ; work from *.
Row 2 (WS): *p2, (k1, p3) x 2 ; work from *.
Row 3: *k2tog, yo, k2, 1/1 RC, k2, yo, ssk ; work from *.
Row 4: purl.
Row 5: *ssk, yo, kb, yo, k2tog ; work from *.
Row 6: purl.
Row 7: *Yo, sssk, yo, k2tog, yo x 2, ssk, yo, k3tog, yo ; work from *.
Row 8: *(p4, k1) x 2 ; work from *.
Row 9: *yo, k2, k2tog, k2, ssk , yo ; work from *.
Row 10: *p9, k1 ; work from *.
Row 11: *k3, 1/1 LC, 1/1 RC, k3 ; work from *.
Row 12: purl.
Row 13: *k2, k2tog, yo, 1/1 RC, yo, ssk, k2 ; work from *.
Row 14: purl.
Row 15: *k1, k2tog, yo, k4, yo, ssk, k1 ; work from *.
Row 16: purl.
Row 17: *k2tog, yo, k6, yo, ssk ; work from *.
Row 18: purl.
As usual, I’ve also encoded Winter in a grid suitable for many crafts. While the lace was done in base 6, this sequence was done in base 3, which makes a style of chart particularly useful for stranded knitting:
If you liked this post, please consider supporting me on Patreon. Thanks!