New Hope Creek (Payhip link) is designed to be knit with two skeins of yarn that coordinate with each other but that don’t match exactly. The shape is crescent-like — formed by knitting five triangles pointing in alternating directions.
The sample is knit with one muted skein and one that’s wildly variegated with short runs of color; I think of this as one mild and one wild. Many variations are possible: one gradient and one wildly variegated yarn, two self-striping yarns with different length stripes, multiple scrap yarns left over from other projects, even two solid yarns. Instructions are also provided for working with a single yarn.
The shawl is worked half in garter stitch, half in reverse garter — the ridges in the narrow triangles are thus offset from the ridges in the wider ones. This helps a little bit with pooling. Also, if a less open increase is substituted, the offset helps create a subtle boundary between the triangles. (Almost exactly half the stitches are purled.)
Shawl is 11.5 inches [29cm] deep, 30.5 inches [77.5cm] along the cast-on edge, and 83 inches [2.1m] along the longest edge.
21.5 stitches and 27 ridges over 4 inches [10cm]. Gauge is important with this shawl to avoid the risk of running out of yarn.
- 393 yards [360m] fingering weight yarn in color A. Sample uses Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Sock Yarn in Blackberry.
- 393 yards [360m] fingering weight yarn in color B. Sample uses Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Sock Yarn in Northern Lights.
- If using only one yarn, 786 yards [720m] fingering weight yarn. US size 5 [3.75mm] circular needle (or size needed to get gauge), at least 40 inches [160cm] long.
- 4 stitch markers. Stitch markers are highly recommended for this pattern, as the long stretches between knit and purl make the transition easily overlooked.
- The pattern assumes you know: long-tail cast-on, knitting, purling, yarnovers, single and double decreases, and binding off with Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off.
- Only written instructions are available. There is no chart.
- Schematic is provided.