Road to Paradise: a free lace knitting stitch
This was originally meant as a coordinating stitch pattern for Paradise; I took an excerpt of the original stitch pattern as described here. I don’t know whether it was the yarn or the gauge, but I was having trouble making the decrease lines visible, so I made the background stitches into garter stitches. Aside from the rib columns, however, the wrong side rows are pretty plain.
I am not certain how well this would actually coordinate with Paradise, given the garter background, but it’s worth a try. Feel free to noodle around with it! You could always change it back to stockinette if you like. Or try purling the wrong side rows all the way across. Always feel free to mess with my stitch patterns.
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. It is not a pattern for a finished object. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- Road to paradise is a multiple of 18+1 stitches and 12 rows.
- I’ve made a stitch map for it.
- Designers, please feel free to use this stitch in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- If you like my posts like this, please consider supporting me on Patreon or donating with my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. Thanks!
- k: knit.
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- k3tog: knit 3 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning double decrease)
- p: purl.
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- sssk: slip each of the next 3 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning double decrease.)
- yo: yarnover.
Row 1 (RS): *p2, yo, k3tog, p1, yo, ssk, yo, p3, yo, k2tog, yo, p1, sssk, yo, p1; work from *, p1.
Row 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12: k1, *(p8, k1) x 2; work from *.
Row 3: *p1, yo, p2, ssk, p1, ssk, yo, p3, yo, k2tog, p1, k2tog, p2, yo; work from *, p1.
Row 5: *p2, yo, p2, ssk x 2, (p1, yo) x 2, p1, k2tog x 2, p2, yo, p1; work from *, p1.
Row 7: *p2, yo, k2tog, yo, p1, sssk, yo, p3, yo, k3tog, p1, yo, ssk, yo, p1; work from *, p1.
Row 9: *p2, yo, k2tog, p1, k2tog, p2, yo, p1, yo, p2, ssk, p1, ssk, yo, p1; work from *, p1.
Row 11: *p1, yo, p1, k2tog x 2, p2, yo, p3, yo, p2, ssk x 2, p1, yo; work from *, p1.