Lucky: a free lace knitting stitch pattern
The word I drew from my word hoard for this stitch pattern is Lucky, suggested by Natasha on Patreon. I like the word, and I like the result!
Each month, my Patreon backers have the chance to suggest words for me to encode as knitting stitches. I make two of these into knitting stitches each month: the first is drawn from the collection of new words; the second is drawn from the collection of unused words. A random number generator helps me choose these, and then I get to work, first turning the letters into numbers, then charting the numbers onto grids in various ways. Finally, when I make the chart into lace, I turn the marked squares into yarnovers and work out where to place the corresponding decreases. (I usually make lace; occasionally I make cables instead.) I also make a chart for any craft that uses a square grid for designing; this goes in a separate post.
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. This is not a pattern for a finished object. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- The repeats in the charts and the text aren’t in the same places. (The double YOs complicate writing the repeats logically in the text.)
- Lucky is a multiple of 16+16 stitches and 8 rows.
- I’ve made a stitch map for it.
- Designers, please feel free to use it in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- If you like my posts like this, please consider supporting me on Patreon or donating with my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. Thanks!
- k: knit.
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- p: purl.
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- yo: yarnover.
Row 1 (RS): yo, ssk, (k2tog, yo, k1) x 2, *(k1, yo, ssk) x 2, k2tog, yo x 2, ssk, (k2tog, yo, k1) x 2; work from *, (k1, yo, ssk) x 2, k2tog, yo.
Row 2 (WS): p8, *p7, (k1, p1) in double yo, p7; work from *, p8.
Row 3: k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo x 2, k2tog, *ssk, yo x 2, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k2, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo x 2, k2tog; work from *, ssk, yo x 2, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k1.
Row 4: p5, (k1, p1) in double yo, p1, *p1, (k1, p1) in double yo, p10, (k1, p1) in double yo, p1; work from *, p1, (k1, p1) in double yo, p5.
Row 5: k2, yo, ssk x 2, yo, k2tog, yo x 2, *ssk, yo, k2tog x 2, yo, k4, yo, ssk x 2, yo, k2tog, yo x 2; work from *, ssk, yo, k2tog x 2, yo, k2.
Row 6: p7, *(k1, p1) in double yo, p14; work from *, (k1, p1) in double yo, p7.
Row 7: k3, k2tog, yo, k3, *k3, yo, ssk, k6, k2tog, yo, k3; work from *, k3, yo, ssk, k3.
Row 8: purl.
One thought on “Lucky: a free lace knitting stitch pattern”
Reblogged this on Warm Up Ohio and commented:
This is a really beautiful pattern! Check out the details…