Make: a free lace knitting stitch pattern
I spontaneously decided to host People of Craft on Twitter this last week when there was an unexpected need. I walked through my encoding process – you can read what I wrote here.
I wasn’t originally planning to do a lace design as part of the week, but I was too tempted, and here we are!
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. This is not a pattern for a finished object. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- Make is a multiple of 12 stitches and 8 rows.
- I’ve made a stitch map for it.
- Designers, please feel free to use this in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- My blog posts and free stitch patterns are supported by subscriptions on Patreon or donations to my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. If you appreciate my work, please consider helping out. Thanks!
- CDD: centered double decrease: slip the next 2 stitches as if to knit 2 together, knit the next stitch, then pass the 2 slipped stitches over the third.
- DSD: double slip decrease; ssk, slip the resulting stitch back to the left needle, pass the next stitch over, then slip the result. (Right-leaning double decrease. Substitute knit 3 together if desired; they are similar but don’t look quite the same.)
- k: knit.
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- p: purl.
- sk2p: slip 1, k2tog, pass slipped stitch over. (Left-leaning double decrease.)
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- yo: yarnover
Row 1 (RS): *k2, yo, k2tog, k1, DSD, yo x 2, k1 tbl, yo, cdd, yo ; work from *. [12 sts]
Row 2 (WS): *p4, (k1, p1) in double yo, p6 ; work from *.
Row 3: *k1, ssk, yo x 2, DSD, k2, yo, k4 ; work from *.
Row 4: *p8, (k1, p1) in double yo, p2 ; work from *.
Row 5: *yo, cdd, yo, k1 tbl, yo x 2, sk2p, k1, ssk, yo, k2 ; work from *.
Row 6: *p6, (k1, p1) in double yo, p4 ; work from *.
Row 7: *k4, yo, k2, sk2p, yo x 2, k2tog, k1 ; work from *.
Row 8: *p2, (k1, p1) in double yo, p8 ; work from *.