A couple of weeks ago, I posted Seed Pods. I like it! But I wasn’t quite satisfied with the visibility of the edges of the motif. So I replaced the plain knit columns with plain purl columns instead, which helps the decrease lines on the edges of the seed pods stand out better. This is, after all, why cables often have reverse stockinette or seed stitch or other texture patterns behind them.
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. It is not a pattern for a finished object. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- Seed Pod Rib is a multiple of 12 + 7 stitches and 8 rows.
- I’ve made a stitch map for Seed Pod Rib.
- Designers, please feel free to use this in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- My blog posts and free stitch patterns are supported by subscriptions on Patreon or donations to my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. If you appreciate my work, please consider helping out. Thanks!
- Bunny Ears YO (from chart key): see entry for CSD-yo.
- CSD-yo (centered single decrease with yarnover): This turns three stitches into three stitches with a yarnover in the middle. Knit 2 together, but only remove the first stitch from the needle; yarn over; then work ssk with the second and third stitches. The middle stitch of the original three has been knit together with each of its neighbors.
- k: knit.
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- p: purl.
- p1b: purl one below. For this stitch pattern, it’s not quite the same as a regular p1b, because it’s actually purling the bar below a yarnover, but the action is much the same. From behind, pick up the bar below the yarnover with the right needle and place it on the left needle next to the yarnover; purl both those strands at the same time. This prevents the bar from making a horizontal line in front of the yarnover.
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- yo: yarnover
Row 1 (RS): *p1, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, p1, k1, BEY, k1; work from *, p1, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, p1.
Row 2 (WS): k1, p5, k1, *p2, p1b, p2, k1, p5, k1; work from *.
Row 3: *p1, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, p1, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk; work from *, p1, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, p1.
Row 4: k1, p5, k1, *(p5, k1) × 2; work from *.
Row 5: *p1, k1, BEY, k1, p1, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog; work from *, p1, k1, BEY, k1, p1.
Row 6: k1, p2, p1b, p2, k1, *p5, k1, p2, p1b, p2, k1; work from *.
Row 7: *p1, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, p1, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog; work from *, p1, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, p1.
Row 8: k1, p5, k1, *(p5, k1) × 2; work from *.