Donut: a needlework chart for any craft that uses them
The random number generator picked Donut from the suggestions for this post, suggested by Susanne V, one of my Patreon supporters.
I also developed a complicated knitting stitch pattern for Donut, but I also like to provide a basic chart for any craft that’s worked on a grid: beads, cross stitch, whatever. I also try to provide at least some digital art of the pattern repeated all over not as a chart. It doesn’t necessarily look like a finished object for any particular craft, but I just want to give a sense of it in use. (I try to make it look like knitting when it’s got floats short enough for easy stranded knitting.)
- Donut has a repeat of 14 + 1 columns and 7 + 1 rows.
- In the written instructions, color A is the light squares above, and color B is the dark.
- The written instructions below are formatted for stranded knitting, but it is my hope that they could be translated into instructions for other crafts. For instance, if working filet crochet, 1 A could be one open square and 2 B could be two filled-in squares.
- Designers, please feel free to use this in your patterns (no need to ask). I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- My blog posts and free stitch patterns are supported by subscriptions on Patreon or donations to my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. If you appreciate my work, please consider helping out. Thanks!
Round 1: work knit as follows; *3 A, 3 B, 1 A, 1 B, 1 A, 3 B, 2 A; work from *, 1 A.
Round 2: work knit as follows; *2 A, 2 B, 3 A, 1 B, 3 A, 2 B, 1 A; work from *, 1 A.
Round 3: work knit as follows; *1 A, (1 B, 1 A, 1 B, 2 A) × 2, 1 B, 1 A, 1 B; work from *, 1 A.
Round 4: work knit as follows; *2 B, (1 A, 1 B) × 6; work from *, 1 B.
Round 5: work knit as follows; *1 A, (1 B, 1 A, 1 B, 2 A) × 2, 1 B, 1 A, 1 B; work from *, 1 A.
Round 6: work knit as follows; *2 A, 2 B, 3 A, 1 B, 3 A, 2 B, 1 A; work from *, 1 A.
Repeat rounds 1-6, ending with row 7:
Round 7: work knit as follows; *3 A, 3 B, 1 A, 1 B, 1 A, 3 B, 2 A; work from *, 1 A.